Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Playing Catch-up

New Food Friday was four full days ago. I wouldn't even bother writing about it, since the event is sort of old news, but I can't pass up a chance to rave about the goods. But I will keep this brief.

Cutter has taken to calling New Food Friday, Freaky Friday. I like my title better. This past Friday was Cutter's choice and he picked Chickpea Patties. For Hayden's sake we are calling them Hummus Burgers (little man LOVES hummus!). Simple, delicious and oh so quick to make. I cannot believe that I have gone this far in life and not had a Hummus Burger yet. Makes me feel a little disgusted at all the money I have spent on processed veggie burgers throughout the years when I could have been having this culinary delight... homemade for one third the price!

It sounds like I am exaggerating. I am not. The recipe is essentially hummus, but after food processing, oatmeal is kneaded in and then the mixture is chilled, formed into patties and fried in a bit of EVOO. (If Rachel Ray would just give up meat, I would be set. I heart her work and passion for quick and easy food.) The texture of the patty is much like meat loaf, but the taste is distinctly veg. The frying in the oil gives the outside a crunch, which is difficult to achieve with a Boca Burger, short of burning it.


Cutter and I both give it 10 out of 10 stars. We used all the typical fixin's, minus the cheese. However, I ate the leftover patties the following day on a pile of lettuce without a bun. Easy and low fat lunch. Hayden had a few bites but said, "I don't like that." I am willing to bet that I could get him to eat them when he is in a better mood. I had a headache all day and was crabby at him. His refusal to eat my food was most likely based on his intent to get revenge for my irritability towards him earlier in the day.

If you want the recipe, let me know. I will gladly pass it along.

1 comment: